Home » Portsmouth » Currently Reading:

Marlins hang on, allege to Round 3 – The Virginian

March 9, 2014 Portsmouth No Comments


DJ Woodmore put on a full-game uncover Saturday night.

His teammates chipped in in a second half, and a total bid was only adequate as Virginia Wesleyan kick Wesley College 79-74 in a second turn of a Division III basketball tournament.

The Marlins (24-6) will face Mary Washington on Friday in a third round. They will learn a site of that diversion Monday.

The former Landstown High star finished with 28 points, including 19 in a initial half. That helped a Marlins take a 39-29 corner into a break.

Woodmore shot 8 of 12 from a margin in a half, including 3 of 3 from behind a arc. The rest of a group shot 7 of 25 for a half.

Woodmore done an impact early. He strike his initial 3-pointer 2:57 in, afterwards done a jumper 4:18 in to give a Marlins their initial lead during 8-7.

His 3 with 9:52 left in a half gave a Marlins a 22-15 lead, their initial cushion. And he capped a half with another jumper in a shutting seconds.

“The basket looked unequivocally wide,” Woodmore said.

Woodmore scored reduction than a notation into a second half to extend a lead to 41-29, a Marlins’ largest of a game.

But like in their 84-72 first-round win over Johns Hopkins, a Marlins struggled in a second half


Down 51-42 with 12:11 left. Wesley (23-4) went on a 11-1 run to take a 53-52 lead.

The pivotal was a full-court press that gave a Marlins problems.

“We only were behind on a heels,” Marlins manager Dave Macedo said. “We didn’t do a good pursuit staying out of a trap areas.”

Wesley led 56-55 with 8:19 left. That’s when Sedric Nady, who hadn’t scored all day, drilled a prolonged 3-pointer for a Marlins. Virginia Wesleyan didn’t route again.

“Coach always tells me be aggressive, be assured in my shot,” Nady said. “I knew it was going down once we shot it.”

Virginia Wesleyan pushed a lead to 66-58 on another 3 from Nady with 7:09 left. Quincy Pettiford, who is from Portsmouth, answered with a 3 of his own.

Wayne Lennon’s jumper cut a Marlins’ corner to 77-74 with 1:56 left. But a Wolverines had a turnover and missed an open layup down a stretch.

Aaron Clark sank dual giveaway throws with 16 seconds left to secure a win.

“Two good teams going during it for 40 minutes,” Macedo said. “I suspicion we only done a few some-more plays down a stretch.”

Mike Connors, 757-222-5217, [email protected]



Article source: http://hamptonroads.com/2014/03/marlins-hang-advance-round-3

Comment on this Article:

Search Articles

We Need Your Help

Please consider donating to help maintain this site by contributing to the server costs